Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Enlightened Minds Book Club

Being a reading advocate I am constantly encouraging others to read. Almost every waking moment that I am not busy with family activities, work or my community service projects you can find me curled up with a book. Even though I am constantly reading I have never joined a book club because I like the freedom of choosing what I read.

Currently, I am reading Hill Harper's book "The Conversation." It is a relationship book geared toward African-Americans that encourages an open dialogue among the sexes about what is needed to form and sustain a healthy relationship. The book is written in a manner that should be shared hence the title "The Conversation" and discussed. One-third through the book I decided I want to start a book club so that I can share my experience of reading this book (and many others) with individuals that also have a passion for reading.

The idea behind the club will not be novel (pun intended) and will operate in the same manner as most. It will be a gathering of both males and females at a local cafe, restaurant or home where we discuss the month's selection over food, drinks and hopefully become enlightened by hearing each others perspective on the selected book.

If you are interested in joining the Enlightened Minds Book Club please send me an email at petagaylewis@yahoo.com.

No comments: