Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pageantry

Pageantry has been my passion since I can remember.

My love affair first began before a television set while watching Miss USA followed by me entering my junior high school's "Miss Taft" pageant where I walked away as the first runner-up to Vanessa's god-mother (yes, friendships can be made through pageantry). Following this encounter I participated in the Miss DC Teen USA pageant four times, the Miss DC USA pageant twice, attended two national competitions as the official District of Columbia representative, won the Miss Global America USA title in 2002 and most recently I competed in the 2009 Mrs. Maryland International pageant.

The friendships and memories I gained through participating in these competitions are priceless. I treasure them with my whole heart.

The past few months has given me the opportunity to reflect and prioritize what is important to me. Supporting my family and raising productive children are my main reason for living. Educational, professional and even community service efforts are admirable and necessary but at the end of my life I want to be remembered as "a great mom that was always available to her family." Aspiring for this honor forces me to simplify my life.

One of the ways in which I will do this is to take a break from competing in pageants. I am unsure how long I will be in "retirement" but I am guessing at least 1-2 years...but as you know pageantry is addictive so don't be surprised if you see me on a stage before then :)

Now, here is the hard part I must announce this new decision to the director of the competition in which I am sign-ed up for LOL. On one hand I am scared to withdraw just in case I get bit by the pageant bug before their competition date (especially since more than likely the fees paid before the withdrawal will not be credited to me competing) but I think it is only fair they know where I currently stand in my decision. Oh, the stress of making hard decisions :)

No comments: