Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lady Hornets Cheerleaders



This past school year, Jade wanted to cheer for the Lady Hornets Cheer leading team at Watkins Elementary School however they did not accept participants under the age of 6. The new cheering season began June 8th and to Jade's delight she became a Lady Hornet.


Initially, I thought I would be supporting Jade in her newly founded cheering endeavor however at the second cheer practice Vanessa decided to join the squad and to her amazement she loved it.


Within a two week period I went from not knowing much about cheer leading to becoming the mother of not one but two cheerleaders.


Many skills are taught in cheer leading such a self-esteem building, good sportsmanship and team work. The mission of the Lady Hornets is that their participants will serve as role models within their community.


One component of the cheering program is to teach the girls how to tumble and flip so in addition to the regular cheer leading practices the girls now take tumbling lessons twice a month.


Last night, there was a mandatory parent meeting. I thought it would be a meeting about upcoming competitions, schedules etc. however soon I realized our program was quite underfunded and that "us parents" would have to make things happen so our girls would have the same cheer leading experience as the better funded program. With this as our mission I joined the program's board (Watkins Youth Association...a 501c non-profit) and decided to volunteer my time to assist with business marketing for acquiring grants and sponsorship of the program.


With my new roles as cheer mom, Executive Board member and business marketing liaison for the Watkins Youth Association I know I will directly have a positive impact on the life of the children within my community. I am so excited for this opportunity to make a difference.

No comments: