Monday, July 11, 2011

Reading Is Essential

Since 2007, my primary community support effort has been promoting the Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) organization as the founder and operator of the Beginning the Journey chapter. This experience has been life changing. It coupled with my efforts as a reading tutor/buddy, eMentor, serving on reading advisory boards and my own struggles/triumphs with my daughter's reading progress has caused me to want to expand my mission and focus.

Having a struggling reader (or a family member who can not read entirely) is extremely hard emotionally. The primary reason for this is everyone wants their child/family member to be self sufficient. Knowing how to read is a required life skill and a part of self-sufficiency.

In additional, to providing free reading materials and teaching families about the importance of reading I want to also offer a support network for families as they navigate the emotional journey of teaching their child/family member how to read. My plan to do this is by forming a 501c non-profit which will be called "Reading Is Essential."

Honestly, I am at the beginning stage of implementing this concept and will be holding focus groups on how to take this idea and solidify it into an international non-profit that will help eradicate illiteracy.

No comments: