Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Girl Scouts Troop at Watkins


Vanessa again wants to do Girl Scouting due to the fact that many of her classmates participate in a community troop that meets at the school. Since the beginning of the school year she has been badgering me about scouting. I gave her the task of finding out meeting times and dates. Yesterday, she came home and told me they meet on Mondays once per month. To follow up with her findings I contacted the school to verify if there were any open slots however to my dismay I was informed that there is a Brownie troop at the school. Vanessa is at the Junior level. The coordinator informed me that I could of course form my own troop at the school because there is always an interest for Girl Scouting (the story of my life with scouting.)


I immediately contacted council to find out the protocol for transferring service units. The coordinator for the Capital Hill area was extremely excited to have the formation of a new troop.

After speaking with her I knew the next step was to secure a free location.

Of course I knew exactly where I wanted to hold my meetings. Upon picking up the girls I approached Ms. Roberts to find out the requirements for using the recreation space. She immediately shared with me her previous wish of wanting to have scouting at Watkins so it was a perfect teaming for the two of us. We decided to hold twice a month Monday meetings at the recreation center and plan a once a month activity.

The first parent interest meeting will be the first week of November. Here's to a a wonderful new experience of Girl Scouting sisterhood at Watkins!

No comments: